- Student loans up to $20,000
- Low-interest starting from 18.95%
- Repayment up to 7 years
[Accessed March 7, 2023]
Starting your career on the right path is probably the most important thing you’ll ever do, make sure you tap into StudyLink’s expertise and knowledge.
They can not only help you to find the very best courses in your line of interest but can also help you to plan and finance your study journey the right way with a personal loan. Get the help you need whether you are just starting, already busy studying, looking for a course, looking for a scholarship, not sure what costs to take into account, or maybe you are over 55 and you would like to make a career change and start studying part-time to do so.
Get the answers you need instantly
They operate 24/7 all year and you can contact them online, via email, or give them a quick call. They will work hard to help you succeed and would love for you to complete your courses successfully while only borrowing what you need so that you can effectively transition into the workforce.
To achieve this, they have partnered and works closely with:
- education providers
- other government agencies
- student representatives.
Remember that you don’t have to take the full amount you or your parents qualify for and can decide to only take parts of the loan you need the most.
You don’t for example have to borrow the full amount of the living costs or course-related costs.
Affordable Student loans NZ
Get qualified without financial stress! Your student loan will be determined by a few factors like your age, income, and course type.
They will be able to help you plan and get finance for the following:
- Compulsory course fees.
- Course-related costs (eg, books, laptop, etc).
- Day-to-day living costs.
- Other costs (eg disability or childcare).
Their tailored student loans have a once-off establishment fee of $60 and can be added to your student loan balance as soon as any payments are made. You can get a student loan for up to 2 EFTS a year, this is around 240 credits.
StudyLink – Student loan
- Loan Type Student loans
- Interest Rate 18.95 – 27.98% p/a
- Loan Amount up to $20,000
- Repayment 6 months to 7 years
Benefits of StudyLink
- Finance for day to day living cost
- Finance for any course-related fees
- Quick and easy online application
Student loan calculator
StudyLink are the experts when it comes to quick student loans
How will you then pay for a loan if you are a full-time student? With StudyLink you only need to start repaying your loan once you start earning over $385 a week before tax, this can also be while you are still studying.
Remember that going overseas won’t excuse you from making repayments.
Online tools for existing student loan clients
You can log in to MyStudyLink and easily do all of the following online:
- View your payments.
- Check your application.
- Claim course-related costs.
- Change your address and contact details.
- Declare your income.
- Accept your loan contract if you are eligible.
- Change your bank account details.
- See if we've received your documents.
- Change your living costs.
- View your letters.
How to apply for a student loan NZ
- Your parents, if you are still under 18.
- If you are 18+ and studying a Youth Guarantee program or fees-free Level 1 or 2 qualifications.
- If you are in prison or on a benefit.
- Want to study part-term or are over 55.
- If you have a deaf, hearing impairment, or speech impairment.
Important note: If you're studying for more than 1 year, you need to reapply for a Student Loan each year that you study.
The StudyLink application process
One: you can apply for a loan, by email, or via calling them. You can also use their New Zealand Relay service – a telecommunications service for people who are deaf, hearing impaired, deaf-blind or speech impaired.
They will ask you for information regarding what course you are approved to study, your estimated living cost budget, your or your parent’s current income, personal details, and future plans, etc.
Two: Their assessment will be done based on your unique circumstances and they will email you the outcome in a few days.
You might qualify for:
- Compulsory course fees.
- Course-related costs.
- Living costs.
Three: If you are approved, you’ll need to sign the study loan agreement to get you started on your exciting journey.
Benefits of being a StudyLink client
- You can accept only the amount you need.
- Access resources and get study guidance.
- Ongoing support and great service.
- Online access to your StudyLink account.
- Deaf, hearing impaired, or speech impaired friendly.
- Open to help anyone at any age, as they believe that is never too late.
- Affordable repayments that you only have to make once you start earning a certain amount per week.
Customer Reviews & Testimonials
I did a good deal of research before I decided who to approach for my student loan. StudyLink was the best as they charged no interest on my loan and my repayment terms were more than fair.
— Lower Hutt —
No interest, easy online application, same day approval - what more could you ask for?
— Dunedin —
My loan from SL covered more than just my tuition fees, it helped me cover living costs too which my parents could afford to pay fully.
— Hamilton —
- not available
- 317 High St Lower Hutt Wellington 5010 New Zealand
- Get Directions
- StudyLink Centre P O Box 38610, Lower Hutt, 5040, New Zealand
- Monday 08:30 – 17:00
- Tuesday 08:30 – 17:00
- Wednesday 09:30 – 17:00
- Thursday 08:30 – 17:00
- Friday 08:30 – 17:00
- Saturday – Closed
- Sunday – Closed